Music is an inseparable part of our life. Music refines our soul; wherever we go, whatever we do. In Australia, richness is embodied in music that embraces all genres and styles. The innovation and experimentation with all types of music provides a niche for every taste and every type of music lover.
While travelling in Australia, nothing could be better than attending a music festival for some. Throughout the year Australia has a range of music festivals across the country with a comprehensive listing of over 300 music festivals. From all of the great music played in Australia, I’ll be highlighting blues in this blog.
Australia has a bunch of blues music festivals - both ticketed and non-ticketed events. However, Byron Bay Bluesfest is probably one of the best among them. If you're planning your holidays around Easter, Byron Bay Bluesfest is a must-attend event. Originally running for three days, since 1990, it now runs for five days from Thursday to Monday showcasing the best international players. This year, the festival showcased Kendrick Lamar, Elle King, Kaleo, Lord Huron, D’Angelo, Taj Mahal, Richard Clapton, Kim Churchill, and Jeff Martin.
This event is considered as Australia’s premier Blues and Roots music festival. In 2017, it's scheduled for 13-17 April, again showcasing some top players in this genre. The line-up for 2017 festival is; Mary J Blige, Michael Kiwanuka, Irish Mythen, Corinne Bailey Rae, Nahko and the medicine for the people, Gallant, The Suffers, Zac Brown band, Patti Smith and her band, The Lumineers, Buddy Guy, Bonny Raitt, Mavis Staples, Bill Bragg, St Paul and the Broken Bones ... and more yet to come.
According to The Music, “ ... Bluesfest is the kind of festival that makes you just wonder how each day can top the last ...” It’s the people, the atmosphere, the sense of innovation and shared experience of world class blues music that makes this event the absolute best of yesterday, today and tomorrow. For over a quarter century, Bluesfest has been entertaining people building trust, passion and love for blues music in people from around the world. Therefore, if you ask for Best Blues music in Australia it has to be the Byron Bay Bluesfest with gifted artists sending shivers down the spine.
Here are some other popular blues music festivals around Australia:
In Victoria region:
- Myrniong Music Festival
- Bendigo Blues & Roots Music Festival
- Bruthen Blues Bash
- Wangaratta Festival of Jazz and Blues
- Winter Blues Festival (Echuca/Moama)
- Bluestone Blues Festival
In New South Wales:
- Australian Blues Music Festival: It is the national Festival of Australian Blues Music held in Goulburn.
- Blue Mountains Music Festival
- Great Southern Blues and Rockabilly Festival, Narooma
- Forth Valley Blues Festival: It is also considered one of the best Blues Music Festivals, offering 13 continuous hours of best Blues music in the pretty riverside town of Forth.
In South Australian region:
In Western Australian region:
- Blues at Bridgetown Blues Festival: This festival is considered as South-west Australia’s premier music festival showcasing superb musical talent.
In Queensland region: